I have been wanting to blog about my iPhone experience since I have been using it for 2 months now and so far, I am impressed by it. It’s easy to use, thin, has decent camera, plays music and video and last but not least, it’s a touch-base cellphone. One thing that I really like is that how it organizes my text messages by contact list so I can see what / when the last text message was sent or received from a person. Although, there are some little things I wish iPhone has it, for example, changing the theme, customize ring tones or any sounds.

My iPhone came with firmware 1.0.2 and it’s really outdated because1.1.3 is out already. Yesterday I decided that I was going to take some risk to update it to 1.1.3. There were quite a bit of process to get to 1.1.3 and intimidating since I’ve never done this before ^^;;. I used Unlock the iPhone guide to upgrade to 1.1.3.

It all starts with ‘Virginizing your iPhone’ to fix your baseband. This step is necessary to fix 0049xxx IMEI and fortunately ,my iPhone does not have 0049xxx, however, I still went through this process just in case something weird happened later on after updating the firmware. The process went smooth and I easily bypassed the activation ,jailbreaked it and unlocked the sim using AnySim package.

Moving on to 1.1.1 , 1.1.2 and 1.1.3, I think I made a mistake when upgrading from 1.1.2 to 1.1.3. I didn’t unlock the sim before I upgraded to 1.1.3 and I couldn’t use the phone on 1.1.3. It looked unlocked but I kept getting 0 bar signal. I said to my self “Oh crap”. It took me roughly 3 hours to do all the upgrade >.>. I was forced to downgrade to 1.1.1 again and redo the whole process, however, this time I stick to 1.1.2 and will upgrade to 1.1.3 later. By the time, I finished upgrading, it’s already 4 o’clock in the morning but it’s totally worth it

So far 1.1.2 has been treating me well and I installed a bunch of applications and games. I installed an IM client called apollo so I can login to my msn account. The process to get Apollo IM working is not easy as I thought it would be. Firstly, signing in to msn gave me an error message: ‘could not authenticate’ so I had to download open SSH and installed it in my iPhone. Secondly, I need to download ‘Hosts’ file and replaced the one in my iphone. Voila!!!!. it works like a charm now I can login to msn :D.

Advertisements